Wednesday 4 June 2014

What Has Lisa Ever Done For Me?

Just like in the Life of Brian I'm asking the question. Not about the Romans of course. No my question is what has the venerable Lisa Armstrong ever did for me. She has advised and cajoled me over the years brilliantly. When I think of purchasing, Sado that I am, I will give some consideration as to whether Lisa might think it a good and worthwhile purchase.

Lisa pointed me in the direction of my Joseph man coat

Joseph man coat £550



 Mine is dark grey and I bought it about five years ago so it doesn't seem to have dated. Great shout Lisa.

She told me to buy a Whistles navy and black thin knit.

I don't for a minute think it's still available but here is something similar. Mine is navy and black which it turns out is a favourite colour combo for Lisa as well

Navy merino crew Whistles £95







I immediately bought my Joseph sailor trousers because she told me they were a great trans seasonal item






I think I can attribute my recently acquired faux pony skin skater shoes from Marks and Sparks because of her featuring them in her column.







Lisa has more than once pointed me in the direction of Sweaty Betty running gear. 



These fleecy running tights are what gets me up and running in the freezing cold and rain in the winter.  

I had a secret self hug when I found out that Lisa also likes a nice silk shirt from Equipment I have them in white, army green and a nude pink. I'd quite like a navy or  yellow one and I might indulge when I get to the states where they are a lot cheaper. 



Lisa helped me see the light when I nearly bought a pair of culottes.  What a mistake that would have been for my body shape and Lisa gently, but firmly pointed this out to me. 

These are the ones that she raved about - for others to wear if they think that they can get away with it. 



She also told me that waist gathered skirts were very much the new way to go for this summer and how fabulous they look with a nice point toe and mid heel shoe with an ankle strap and then promptly told me why I should, given my years and thick set calves stay clear of such a lovely item of clothing. The fact that Lisa also told thousands of others the same thing is immaterial. She is,  I am convinced only speaking to me as my personal stylist. This of course can't be right but her comments and style have resonated with me for a decade or more. 

I have to check out what Lisa is covering each week. Her article is on Fridays in theTelegraph and I'll be checking out what she has to say this week as always. Last week she even told me that I could look dewy, younger and not over made up if I followed her lead to the Armani make up counter and I'll be doing just that in Saks when on my hols this year. 

It wasn't plumbing, straight roads or heating systems. ( year 8 history now being recalled) it's been much better than that. Lisa has done stacks for me actually , since you ask. 

Do you have a favourite media stylist. One who speaks to you  ?  




6 comments:

  1. I have been a Lisa fan for years, wished she stayed at the times though. Also believe everything India Knight has to say about make-up.
    Sue
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we have gone digital we can get both newspapers at the weekend so I'm looking forward to seeing her contributions to the telegraph magazine too.

      Delete
  2. From what I am reading here I would Lisa's style! I've never come across her before so thanks for the intro xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that Lisa is also the reason I bought my Mui Mui cats eye sunglasses. She knows her stuff.

      Delete
  3. great post - i love equipment shirts!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. there's £250+ of beauty products up for grabs on my blog! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lisa Armstrong too. My sister gets the Saturday Telegraph and saves me the magazines and the weekend supplements so I get my fix that way. But yep - that Lisa knows what she's on about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I love receiving your comments.
Sarah.