Wednesday 20 August 2014

Need v Want




 I haven't written a new blog for a while. Frustrated by my lack of technical know how and a desire to make my blog pages look more interesting, I promised myself I'd wait until I could make the blog look more appealing before writing anymore. 

The truth is I'm learning but, holy cow, it's a a long-winded process. Hats off to all you bloggers who make it all look so effortless.

As usual I can't keep my mouth shut or my thoughts to myself. 

Today I'm struggling with what to wear to a beach in Devon where I'll be all day watching the Surf LIfesaving competition. Baywatch it ain't. Keeping warm and being prepared for whatever the weather throws at you is the order of the day. So it would make sense to don a fleece, or a gilet or even a pair of chinos. Except as you might imagine, I'm staring at a huge wardrobe gap where these "pratical"or "need" items might reside. I am going to look a total tool. Like turning up in heels for a walk in the countryside. 

To avoid said embarrassment, I've come up with this ensemble.

Jeans 
Don't think that the remnants of hurricane Bertha will mean it's going to be a getting legs out sort of day so I'm going with a pair of boyfriends. Anyway my daughter has borrowed my cut offs. 

My favourite are the MIH Phoebes.







Closely followed by the J brand Aiden (with rips)






These from Next look like they could fit the bill too.






I'm very fond of the MiH Paris variety in white.  




I have put these on the blog before. But man the styling here does them no favours 

Shoes

I'll be in my Supergas - I nabbed a new navy pair just before the code from Style Sunday Times mag for My Wardrobe ran out and got mine for £20. 

Superga classic 2750 navy £45




Top


Shirt and logo sweat combo. 

A white or chambray. 







Logo sweats are everywhere this year and don't look like they're going away 

These are my current favourites but I think I'll be in my Whistles Comme Ci Comme Ca version. 

Whistles striped logo sweat


I think I'm becoming more than fond of this Zoe Karrsen one even though the last thing I need is another logo sweat.



Finally a coat. 

If the weather doesn't improve it'll be a parka but I'm praying it won't rain in which case a utility jacket would be ideal. If only I had one. Like this. 

Rag and Bone Chamberlain jacket £181



Is this the time to invest in the new season trend of a blanket coat?  A new trend, yes....but if you think about it, it's just a winter kimono isn't it?  Inspired by the Burberry version but lusting over this MiH offering in a more of a poncho style to be fair. Last time I wore a poncho I was seven, I'm sure. I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I've also noticed a complete love in with MiH in this post. I love everything in their range. Seriously "want" it all. That crept up on me too. 




Thank The very Lord it's not yet available or it would be hard work for me to resist. 

This is the epitome of "want" rather than a "need" item. And I'm supposed to be concentrating on need items on this post, but you know me I can weave in a justifiable reason for an expensive want item at the drop of a hat if I put my mind to it. Do I admit at this point that I sent in my email for an alert when it is available? 

Fate will dictate. I'll hang fire for the sale on the basis that I'm one of a handful that really like it.  It'll sell out and I'll kick myself.

This is what I finished up throwing on. 




Jeans - MiH Paris
Denim Shirt - Theory from last year 
Sweat - Whistles
Superga trainers in navy 
  

And instead of clothes, these were my SSOTD (style statement of the day)  They take me back; like being seven again - same as the poncho. That's nostalgia for you. In spades. 













11 comments:

  1. No need to make the pages look more interesting....it's the content what counts!! I love the way you write and to see what you are lusting after and of course what you are wearing!!
    You pitched your beach outfit perfectly, hope you were warm enough without needing a jacket! I think the J Crew endless shirt may have to go on my wishlist! I love all your picks, everything is pretty tempting! I've just invested in some Superga so that's one item I can check off ;0) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Think my daughter was a bit worried about what I would turn up in. I couldn't get on with the NB trainer thing but Supergas are my substitute.

      Delete
  2. HeHe! Sorry could'nt resist a comment....
    I'm a bloke! See! And, l'm well into fashion...
    "Every Street Is a Catwalk".

    Firstly...Yeah! Hit this Blog with more colour,
    in yer face...Nice colourful background...Thousands
    to choose from...Hate white backgrounds! :).

    I don't do jeans...Never have, never will...Love three
    quarter length shorts, wear'em ALL year round...!
    Nicest thing up top there...The RAP Sweatshirt...Love
    it...Well it's Pink...AND...I'm into Pink...Big time!
    Love ponchos to...! :>).

    Good content...Yes! But! Slam some colour in this....!
    Amen! ~(^..^)~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good feedback thanks. I hear what you're saying. It's a fine balance between keeping it simple and plain boring. The Zoe Karrsen is great. It's the sort of thing my kids would roll their eyes at seeing me in same applies to the poncho. Great to hear the male perspective too.

      Delete
  3. You're not the only one having an MIH love in - I seem to have acquired 4 pairs this year in the last few months - how that happened, I have no idea! But it's interesting to note - I think you're quite tall (I could be wrong) and even the MIH Paris are full length on you rather than cropped at the ankle which is how they seem to show them in their photos.

    And I absolutely adore the poncho - the colours are just so perfect together. I look forward to seeing you in it .... I have a feeling one will be yours soon :)

    With regard to the layout - I like a plainish background like what you have as it doesn't fight with the pictures. I'm sure you're still tweaking but the details which seemed to have moved to the bottom look better on the right of the screen as it makes it easier for people to find stuff like old posts ... and don't forget to put a search function - I remember things that I've seen on people's blogs and then try to search on them again using specific words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue thanks for your advice.
      I think the layout I chose doesn't allow me to show other posts on the RHS. A bit more surgery needed

      Talking of surgery I think those Paris jeans could do with an inch lopped off them. I didn't want them too tight or cropped. Been there done that. Maybe I should have worn them with heels like MiH styled them.

      Delete
  4. It took me ages to get to grips with layouts but you can do so much in the advance template option on blogger. I currently have a bought template from etsy but before that I have changed it a few times myself and made my own header pictures x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good advice. I was looking at some templates available on Etsy Ndvi bet it was the same supplier you have gone with. Reassuring.

      Delete
  5. Sarah, don't be so hard on yourself, I am really enjoying your posts, and I love your style. I completely understand what you mean about other blogs as a newbie myself, I often wonder if I am chatting away to myself, other bloggers seem so accomplished. I now need that MiH poncho and I blame you. Look forward to more
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sue. You are definitely not chatting away in a vacuum. Sorry about the poncho thing. I'm hoping that MiH are going to send out a new season discount code before they sell out of them. If I get a code - I'll share

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect outfit! I love superga. I have two pairs and they get lots of wear. Just perfect styling, Sarah. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I love receiving your comments.
Sarah.