Sunday 15 February 2015

Which shoes do you wear with flares?

I've been on a flares post watch from all my favourite bloggers and it seems we are all about to launch ourselves into wearing flares. 
This is coming from one who has three pairs of denim and a pair of cord flares but when push comes to the very shove still wears a pair of skinnies. This weekend was a case in point. I woke up full of determination. Today was the day I was going wear the flares. All day. At the weekend. Then I put on my leather leggings, slouchy jumper and flats uniform. The thought of trying to supervise my daughter's party in heels was a faff too far. 

I often wear - read at least once a week - usually Friday when I have fewer meetings - my dark wash MiH Marrakesh to work with a shirt and blazer. I can't really wear jeans to work so being a big fat cheater I wear jeans that look like trews. I've had them shortened to wear with my comfy stacked heel boots. I can hack this look all day long. No problem. But that's because it's work and I'm used to wearing heels all day. Come the weekend it's a very different story. I'm straight into my flats. So what do you do with all the extra length of the flared denim swishing about your ankles?  For me it's fast becoming an issue so I spent a bit of time trying on various shoes with my flares so I need never fear wearing flares and reach for them ahead of the skinnies. I started off thinking that the toe needed to be pointy to avoid looking like a 70's time warp. 

I tried my very comfy M and S stilettos 











Verdict. Too dressy 
Pointy front = good
 Spiky heel = bad 

Then I moved onto my work boots. 
These boots are the most comfortable footwear I own and they have a heel.













Verdict. I'll continue to wear these boots with my flares but they are too boring for weekends 


I moved onto to thinking about the summer.


First, in my See by Chloe sandals that have had at least three years now. They definitely have that seventies vibe going on; all thick tan leather and chunky heels.







Verdict. When the weather warms up I'll be wearing these with my flares. No doubt. The photos paired with the flares just hid them under the hem. Also I may have been trying to hide my feet that haven't seen the light of day for a few months. 

Secondly I turned to my orange peep toe sling backs that I bought last year. Also very comfortable and with a wedge they keep the seventies feeling mighty real. 






Verdict. On a sunny day I'll be reaching for these. Perhaps I'll also reach for my paler wash MiH Marrakesh as well. 

Finally, if you really want to be thrown right back into the seventies then what about these clogs. Mine are so old I can't remember when I got them. 









Yes, I am laughing out loud. 

Verdict. No thanks. Verging on fancy dress.  I need one of those floppy wide brimmed hats and I'll think I'm Carly Simon. Which incidentally is a bit of a worry since I can't sing for toffee. 


Overall
1. Stick to a chunky heel. Failing that wear wedges
2. Almond toe shoes (like my comfy work boots) don't do the look any favours. But I'll still be wearing mine 9 to 5. 
Pointy is better but not with a stiletto heel. 
3. Sandals just look better than boots - there is a reason why these jeans are tipped for SS15 not AW14.
4. Definitely leave the clogs to those younger individuals who would not have worn them in circa 1973 on account of their not being alive.  
  

Or I could just invest in these chunky heeled sandals which will nail the look effortlessly.


Russell and Bromley Cindy platform £125 











7 comments:

  1. Kicking myself very hard, as this particular idiot took her Hudson flares to the charity shop. I may well save the 70s thingy for the warmer weather. Love your hair by the way.
    Sue xx
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the chloe sandals all the way for me! The flares look great on you. I have tiny feet, a downside for wearing flares
    Laurie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Footwear is the exact reason I will always put my hands on the skinnies first, flares are v.tricky to find the right footwear for, I totally agree! We'll be fine once we can get the sandals out, but for now you have inspired me with the rounder toed boots as I've just unearthed some tan suede ankle boots that I'm thinking will look ace with the new Zara cardy that I've purchased ;0) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you remind me a lot of Susan Sarandon in these photos - a very glamourous take on flares! I tidied out my shoe cupboard at the weeked and found an old pair of 70s style boots that will be just perfect with flared jeans, now I just need to find the actual jeans, a task that is proving much harder than it should be right now...

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought Becky as soon as I saw her! :)

      Delete
  5. The R&B sandals are the perfect shoe to wear with flares IMO!! However, I am also keen on the ever so slightly scruffy look of wearing them with Birkenstocks in the summer - well, it works for me anyway!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I love receiving your comments.
Sarah.