Sunday 26 October 2014

Let's go disco

It's no secret that I love a little bit of retro dressing.  So when a friend said she was inviting us over and the dress code was seventies inspired my brain has been whirring away over the " What to wear" conundrum. 

This isn't meant to be fancy dress. I'm thinking less Elton John and more Bianca Jagger circa 1972.

But what do you know it seems that I needn't have put so much thought into this because Grazia have done all the hard work for me. The looks in the seventies article in last weeks magazine was all I needed to  ahem... copy. 

The vital ingredients are flares, naturellement , a silk / cheesecloth top a pair of platforms  ( so far, so obvious) and the best bit.... a chubby faux fur jacket. I would love an excuse to wear one of these having bought two Whistles faux fur coats and returned them both on the basis that I didn't think I'd ever have the right occasion to wear such a gorgeous (but let's face it) stand out piece.

Was this also the excuse I needed to purchase a pair of flares that I've been wanting for ages. 



I love these from Frame Denim 





but I know the MIH Marrakesh seem to fit me well. 

I could pair with a silk shirt for a bit of evening glamour like this one that everyone is saying is such good quality from Uniqlo.



 Susie at Susie So So has recommended this one and I'm tempted to give it a try (sorry Susie the link would just not work) 

 or the ones on my Christmas list from Equipment.(Equipment Blaize silk shirt)   Did you notice how I just ever so casually slipped in the seasonal festival reference there? Say after me. I will not panic 



It would also give me THE best opportunity to wear a faux fur chubby jacket.  My well documented love for The Whistles One  that I was salivating over in Lilac or even better Navy, and is now sold out, would probably have been a bit too "coat" than jacket, rendering it incapable of also being a "chubby". I am sobbing inwardly as I write that. 




But this little furry number really fit the description. As seen in Grazia this week. 



I could also dig out my Topshop shaggy Mongolian faux fur that I got in the dregs of the sale two years ago. Worn once so far on account of the sounds of not so muffled laughter emitting from my children whenever I've attempted to casually throw it on in the past. 

I'm sure I've got some platforms stashed away somewhere. 
I'm off to have a dressing up session and will report back with evidence if it all looks vaguely ( by which I mean ever so slightly in the dimmed light after a couple glasses of Blue Nun)  like I could pass for an aging (or is that fading) seventies icon. 


This is me from last night before I made a dash for the door. 
I'm wearing MiH Marrakesh jeans in Midnight(new from My Wardrobe.com  and if I say so myself they do have some leg lengthening appeal) Joie cheesecloth top (bought in Nordstrom whilst on holiday) Mongolian faux fur jacket Topshop (2012) grey trilby Topshop and some high wedges bought ten (yes ten) years ago from Nine West. 

I wasn't kidding about the Blue Nun by the way.



9 comments:

  1. A lovely post, and you looked great. I have just featured that wistles coat in a post too, its gorgeous. You are missed on instagram by the way x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have seen my friend in her slashed to the navel flared jumpsuit. One word. Fabulous.
      You are right of course I need to get back into my Instagram groove

      Delete
  2. That Whistles blue fur coat - how could you send it back? It's beautiful. But I guess sometimes sensible head rules and we have to obey. Now I wish I could carry off those Marrakesh flares but can you imagine how much I would have to cut off? It would make me cry to think I was cutting more than £50 worth off just to fit me in length!

    And that is a fabulous outfit for the party! If I were to do the seventies - I want to dress like this!

    P.S. Thank you for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm now stalking the website to see if they that navy coat back in stock.
    Those flares will have to go to the tailors. I'm planning to wear them to work on the odd casual day and I don't think I could wear those vertiginous platforms for long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's the head after the Blue Nun? Love your seventies vibe look, perfect.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab outfit! Love this!! I love dressing up and having a theme as a challenge. Great fun! Hope you have a fantastic night. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great and your jacket is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha ha at the Blue Nun! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I love receiving your comments.
Sarah.