Monday 2 June 2014

Sun dresses.


 I have a wardrobe gap that a sun dress could fill. I say think because we have had one day so far this year on which I might have worn a sundress so unless the weather improves I would never require such an item

The point of a sundress for me is that it has to be ultra easy, throw on, it can't be expensive as that would defeat the object. Something pricey would take it out of everyday use because I can't get over the notion of wearing / saving expensive items for "best". 

 I've been checking out a few potentials that could fit the bill but first the checklist

1. Throw on. Not clingy or with zips and fasteners 

2. Washable - although I don't mind hand wash  ( I have a summer lace dress that I once chucked a whole Starbucks over on the first outing - by accident you understand, and as it was washable you cannot tell that I nearly wrote it off within five minutes of wearing it) 

3. Above the knee and not a maxi - if it's sunny enough to get my legs out I will subject everyone to the sight of my knees. Apologies in advance. 

4. Strappy shoulders or a least sleeveless  - ditto apologies as above re sight of upper arms.

I have been out trying a few samples.

I gave Pull and Bear a whirl and rather liked this little number

It was £25.99 so not a bad price.



I was also tempted to buy this from a brand that my daughter introduced me to. It's an American brand.  They have a shop on Carnaby Street. It's a little short and I think it would suit someone with a small chest like me. I can see it worn on holiday / to the beach hut when it's sunny with a pair of flats and a cross body bag. And it was £28. I liked the navy version best.





I was taken with this little number in H and  M. I was also taken with the £7.99 price tag. I think  it would go really well with my new black birkies or those Thais cross over Ancient Greek Sandals that I've been stalking.  It's a medium and a usually size up in H and M but I think it comes up big. 



I have hovered over the purchase now button so many times on the next three dresses. But I haven't entered the last crucial three security digits. These three dresses are all lovely but they are all failing at the price point  that I set myself. But just to make myself feel better I am going to share them


I'm having a love affair with anything by Isabel Marant or Vanessa Bruno. So this dress would be ideal. I'm not sure it's washable though. And if I am completely honest whilst it's sweet it might be a touch too saccharin.

Vanessa Bruno Athe lace trim dress £192 in the sale 







This one on the other hand has a bit more edge. The only issue within this one is that I'm not sure about the material it's made from. Is that polyester? It could be good i.e. hangs and swings well or bad, itchy unforgiving material in hotter climes.

BA& SH trapezium dress in cream £115 in the sale 






I think that this brand, which is American so I get a little bit cross that their clothes are nearly half price for the same thing in the states, is super and I like this one - a lot. If it gets any cheaper in the sale then it'll be mine.




I also love this one. It might have too much of the milkmaid look about it but I saw it close up in Fenwick  the other day and this is the same dress online. It is gorgeous but I might need to start using Timotei shampoo for a very long time before I can come close to being qualified to wear this.

Graham and a spencer Carol broderie Anglaise dress £200



I can see now that these are all a bit random. No one said I had to stick to the list. I like them all but naturally the most expensive and covetable ones are the ones that I'll continue to drool over and you never know there might be a decent spell of hot weather to justify a purchase. Ever heard the phrase "living in hope".

Working today ,  so I'm guessing you are not interested in my usual uniform of a trouser and blazer combo enough to want to see a photo - so I'll spare you that. 




2 comments:

  1. Inspired! Really love the black & white print H&M dress....that would be a great little number to chuck on over a swimsuit for around the pool at that fantastic price! Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Michelle, really like the H&M dress, the Pull & Bear also get my vote too.
    Sue
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I love receiving your comments.
Sarah.