Sunday 1 June 2014

If you can't beat them - join them

Every weekend my eldest will ask to meet up with a friend in town for a couple of hours. They mooch around but always, always, always you will find them in Topshop.
 Then it's time to meet up at , you've guessed it, Topshop, which gives me a little browsing time on my own which I quite enjoy doing, whilst something she wanted to "show" me is tried on for my inspection / approval. 

I can walk around the shop and admire things that I would never wear. Mom jeans for example, not to be tried if you actually are a mum, in my personal,  cropped tees and short skater dresses are other items that I can leave on the rail. 

The prices aren't bad and inevitably I see things that I think could work.  Faints in complete shock. 

If you've been reading my blog for the last few weeks you will have seen me in my navy cropped trousers - £22. They fit and wash like a dream for work. Yes, they came from Topshop.




You might also have spotted me in a nude collarless blazer. A snip at £48. Such a great structured shape that definitely looks more expensive than it is and has a heavy twill cotton but stretchy feel so it can be worn really fitted.  


Last Friday I had the pleasure (!) of visiting the most intimidating store I have ever set foot in. The HolyGrail  of teenage high street consumerism. AKA Topshop Oxford CIrcus.

But looking past the racks of jelly shoes and neon logo t shirts and I spotted a couple of items that I seemingly now can't do without. 

First, let me introduce you to the pink bonded trench coat.


Dusty pink bonded trench £110



Love at first sight for me - but I didn't buy on the day. Why? Because I have my eye on a Burberry trench or at least something more classic. But this coat had that effortless minimalist thing going on that I can't resist and the thought of it has been nagging at me ever since.  Then, I opened the Sunday TImes Style mag this morning and there was my trench coat being proclaimed to the world as the next best thing to sliced bread.  And being compared to Celine in a very good way. Damn. Now I was going to have to buy it online. But I was not quick enought to get one in my size because someone I.e. HimIndoors, decided to reboot the broadband  just as I was, very crucially,  going to " checkout". By the time I got 2 minutes to myself, only the larger sizes were left. You will  have to judge whether A. It is a worthy purchase and B, whether it is too massive to look  " oversized" (meaning borrowed from a six foot behemoth). 

Next up I found this pinafore dress.

Pinafore dress £50




No, not gone completely crackers. Pinafore. You heard right. But not like a dress for an eight year old. This one is more sun dress in style and the length hits just above the knee, it's stretchy and it's got pockets.  With a pair of wedges or flats in tan, white or in fact any colour I think this dress is going to really work. I can take it on holiday and look cool ( well in my head anyway) in both senses of the
word when out and about in the malls and outlets or, new made up dress code alert - polished casual - for when we pop out for family meal. 

I also was very keen on this Boilersuit - just nice and plain And I can vouch for it's very soft fabric. But I already have succumbed to this trend so I think we can safely say that I've got this one covered. But it looks so effortless and edgy at the same time with a pair of chunky sandals or pin thin courts. Sleeves and hems rolled up. 




I've got some great scalloped edge vest tops and in the past I've bought a fab utility khaki jacket that I wore a lot until every other teenager on the block had got one and so I donated it to my teenager. Some swingy camisole tops and  I also have a wet look blush coloured mac which my children threatened to disown me if I ever dared to wear again and I am still scarred from the experience.

As I say. If you can't beat them... So do you like a shop that you know that by rights you should give it a wide berth? 

Here is what I wore to have a sneaky trip to the shops whilst collecting my eldest 

 
Lace insert top - New Look
Phoebe jeans - MiH
Laure jacket - Isabel Marant
Black heart sandals - Swedish Hasbeens   


Today we had a rare few hours without the girls, so we drove to our favourite pub and the Phoebe's came out again. 



Phoebe jeans - MiH 
Lace top - Vanessa Bruno Athe
Black heart sandals - Swedish Hasbeens
Pineapple pendant - Whistles  



5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, like your top shop picks, and your thoughts on styling the pinafore dress. I like the Baxter and Jamie jeans, they do. Will be trying on some Birkies this week, eek.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I have got my eye on a pair of grey Baxter jeans but I think I have spent up so they will have to wait. Hope I'll see you in a nice new pair of birkies soon

      Delete
  2. Now and again I unearth some utter gems in Topshop....still worth giving them the once over as there are some pieces not to be missed! In love with your Vanessa Bruno top xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my new top. Had to use all my loyalty vouchers to get it but I seem to be wearing it non stop

    Thanks and glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think lacey white tops paired with jeans is just such a good look, and both of the lace tops look really nice. The black heart shoes look really nice too.
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I love receiving your comments.
Sarah.