Thursday 19 June 2014

Sales haul


If you have access to broadband and an email address you are fair game for the marketing department's myriad of emails that have been sent to you to let you know of pre sales, extra discount time limited sales, flash sales , birthday discount. To the point where you will not buy a damn thing unless there is a discount code to be applied in the promotions box at the checkout.
Being a meanie I don't think I have bought anything bar my Isabel Marant jacket this season without a bit of money off   Even then I checked to see if the Laure jacket was reduced - so I could give myself a kick and a severe talking to. Thankfully it was still at full price in which case I allowed myself a smug look,  sagely nodding at my iPad screen in the manner of some one who is, secretly in the know. Someone who already knew that this item would be so popular, so OTM that it would never attract anything so common as a discount. 
That's all rot of course I had absolutely no flaming idea whether it would be sale fodder or not. 

These days it seems that everything can attract a discount if you are prepared to gird your loins, demonstrate your very steeliness and all your will power to play the marketing manager at their own game. Hold back until they decide that the item in question should be discounted or that they want to offer a discount across their entire range. These are the best sort of discounts by the way. 

But these discounts - they work. 

In the last few days I have pulled the trigger on

1. River Island Bermuda shorts - Merci a Grazia for the discount. £21. These shorts capture the zeitgeist for Bermudas at a ridiculous price. Look so much more expensive.
River Island long smart shorts



2. MiH jeans gathered waist shirt dress which I managed to get in the sale with an extra 30 % off.reducing it to a very palatable £73   So classic and perfect for when I'm out in 35 degree heat. 

The MIH gathered shirt dress

Oh just so you know I won't be wearing mine with hideous courts  - I shall be wearing my Arizona birkies or flat tan sandals. A little lesson learned for MiH marketing dept. 
....no one wears short shirt dresses with heels do they?  So why style it this way on the website? Schoolboy error. Just sayin. 

3. Navy Supergas - £20 with a discount code from My Wardrobe. Can't go wrong. 

Navy classic 2750 Supergas




4.  A DVF Classic wrap dress. Still not cheap at £242 but so classic and beyond my usual budget at full price. Ditto above will always be a classic. 
DVF Jeanne two wrap dress in classic chain link pattern



I am thinking that if my favourite Etre Cecile t shirt is in the sale and therefore discount worthy I might not be responsible...Quite honestly I daren't look. 

So I am not doing anything other than browsing. I will be just looking not buying for the next few months.  

Oh and nothing pisses me off more than buying something in the sale only to find out it's got a further 20% the following week. That kind of marketing behaviour is reprehensible. Unless of course I've outplayed the marketing manager at his own game and snagged the item I would have eaten beans for a month to be able to purchase but at a 70% discount instead of the full price.  Then I am in love with the marketing manager whoever he or she is - they are truly beautiful people for putting the lust worthy item in question within my reach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I love receiving your comments.
Sarah.